Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Ragged Edge of Development in the Tulip & Loyola Area, 1971-72 (194)

The construction edges of tract home areas are in their nature “ragged.” Open land is being converted to housing. That is a messy process made dramatic by juxtaposing an existing ecology, raw destruction, and new construction.

For some five decades in the last half of the twentieth century in Davis, such ragged edges were rather common and almost continuously on display. But in the last two decades or so, they have become rare to the point of nonexistent.

In the spirit of recalling those heady days of rampant ragged edge tracts home development, let me share of a few photographs of the phenomenon.

These are photos of the “ragged edge” phase of the construction of a Stanley Davis “Alpine” home on Tulip Lane near Loyola Drive in 1971-72.
 1. The yellow two story “Alpine” in the middle distance is 1220 Tulip Lane, a street that ended in front of that house in 1971-2. The house is situated in the long edge of houses making up Davis Manor subdivisions numbers 15 and 16. Today, the field we see here is Sunnyside subdivision No. 1 and Mace Ranch Park subdivisions numbers 03 and 04.


2. The garage of 1220 Tulip Lane under constsruction next to an open field that stretches all the way to Interstate 80.

3. 1220 Tulip Lane is a somewhat more advanced state of construction, 1972.   


4. On the right, the north-south Tulip Lane intersects with the east-west Adrian Drive.


5. Tulip Lane & Adrian Drive showing, on the left 2721, 2727 and 2733 Adrian Drive.

6. The rear yards of 2810 and 2816 Loyola and, across the street, the fronts of 2815 and 2821 Loyola.   

7. Looking west out the patio door of 1220 Tulip Lane, toward 2822 Loyola.   

8. This is the same west-looking view as the previous photo, only taken from the second story of 1220 Tulip Lane--and it also shows 2822 Loyola.   

9. Some months later, the jaggedness of the edge is being smoothed out with fences. In the far middle distance, we see buildings of the Chiles farm, a location that has more recently housed the Davis Explorit Center. The trees on the right in the distance line the long lane to the Chiles ranch and date from the middle 19th century, years before the creation of “Davisville” in 1868.